21 April 2008

For Chocoholics

There are
still some
cocoa trees
remaining
in Corn Buck,
and despite
years of
neglect
and the
passage of
Ivan,
the remaining
few,
valiantly,
continue
to bear.



The pods
display
beautiful
colours,
from the
deepest mauve,
(not ready yet)
through to the
red
and
orange
and yellow
of maturity.






They have
to be cut
from the tree,
as they do not
fall
by their own
volition.
When they are
cracked open,
with a cutlass,
a sweet, sticky
mass
of creamy beans
is revealed,
which is scooped
out
and left to dry
in the hot sun.


This year,
instead of
taking
the wet beans
to the pool,
we are drying
and, later,
roasting,
them
ourselves.










Hopefully,
this work
in progress
will result
in
our very own
cocoa tea,
or, if I am
really lucky,
chocolate.

7 comments:

  1. We boil the cocoa with cinnamon. I have mine milky...mmmm...I think I'll have some with my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyana Gyal, I'm hoping some of the ladies that make spiced cocoa balls will share their recipes with me. Thank you for yours. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a whole other world. Sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...this whisked me right back to a TV series we just had here in UK: Willy's Wonky Chocolate Factory. He grew all his choc beans in Venezuela and made them into the most amazing stuff in Devon. I couldn't get to the end of an episode without drooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog - I'm definitely a chocoholic and I live in Ghana - one of the world's biggest cocoa producers, yet I have barely seen the actual cocoa trees/fruit. Good luck in your harvesting it sounds amazing.
    I've been living in Ghana for 12 years, but have a catamaran which is in charter right now in Grenada - so I've been reading more blogs about it. Do you know Horizon Yacht Charters??? All the best. Holli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Holli, thanks for your comment, have just dipped into your blog and know I will be back time and again. You must have a very nice boat and ,yes, I do know Horizon Yacht Charters, Jacki came to our wedding. If you make it to Grenada, you are welcome to come and pick your own cocoa,if you feel to. Small world huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing your own cocoa - amazing!

    Raw cocoa is nature's most powerful antioxidant food on our planet.

    I found a company that sells Healthy Chocolate. It is the only company that uses a cold process to manufacture dark Belgian Chocolate without damaging the natural occurring flavonoids found in raw cocoa. Flavonoids have been studied extensively by medical researchers.

    Please visit my website at www.chocolatestudies.net
    Make sure you click on the link about Health Benefits.
    We all crave chocolate; now we can eat Healthy Chocolate, satisfy our sweet craving, and improve our health!

    Fellow Chocoholic,
    Gina Gilbreath
    Healthy Chocolate Distributor

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, it is lovely to see you here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...