18 September 2007

Spice.

Guyana-Gyal ,
who is
'taking
stock',
sowed
a welcome
seed
of
thought,
on
'oneofthosedays'
when
the
vindictive
demon
of
self doubt, chose to gnaw at, taint and question, everything.

By saying
that
she
was
"looking
forward
to
hearing
about
my
accomplishments
in
Grenada"
I began
to
wonder
what
they
were. So often we measure ourselves against others' values, fortune and fame, but, most often, it is the little things that make us whole.
So, thanks to my patient teacher, T, here is accomplishment number one.

I
now
know;
a
spice
tree
when
I
see
one,
how to
scrape off the outer bark, pound the inner, not too hard but just enough, so that it is possible to remove the cinnamon, and leave it to dry in the sun.

I just wish I could post how it smells.

10 comments:

  1. I can smell and taste the cinnamon.

    I think the most important accomplishments are feeling good about yourself and your life and being able to learn. Any other accomplishments can spring from that and in the long term may be less important.



    "I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert... Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings,
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

    Ozymandius
    by: Percy Bysshe Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea I would receive such a beautiful gift today Sontin.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your accomplishments: I don't know most of them, but what I know I cherish: this beautiful blog: entertaining, educational, heartwarming and letting me catch a glimpse of this generous, opppenhearted woman who lives and creates there - and shares her life with us. Cheers!
    P.S. Is there a drink with cinnamon that we could use for this toast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cinnamon especially in couscous and North African pastries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your comments, I think we'll have some spice tea by way of celebration.

    1 2" stick of cinnamon,
    1 teaspoon cloves,
    1 teaspoon tea of choice per person,
    sugar to taste,
    1 shot of brandy per glass.

    Put spices and tea in pot.
    Pour enough boiling water per glass into pot and infuse for 5 minutes.
    Pour and add sugar, brandy and stir.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zooms, now I know where to go when my cinnamon tree is ready to give me cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're most welcome La Gringa, maybe you could bring me the moon and the stars.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, it is lovely to see you here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...